Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Happy Birthday To Me


I turned 37 today and don't feel a day over 25. OK, that's pushing it a bit, but seriously...I can't believe it will be three years to 40. For some reason it doesn't bother me about turning 40. It did bother me about turning 30 back in the day. In fact, it bothered me a lot. 40, 50, 60, etc??? They are all just numbers.

Two lovely girls from work are taking me out to lunch today. They are both such dears. We always have a great time together. I have an appointment with the podiatrist at 3:45pm which means I will have to leave work a little before then to make it on time, which means the workday will be short. Yay! I should be home by 4:30pm at the latest. By the way, I have calluses on my feet from being in the Navy and this podiatrist peels them off like an onion. I haven't seen her for two years now so it's time to do some snipping. I get pedicures from time to time and such and my feet aren't manky looking but there are flesh-colored calluses on the bottom and it feels so good when she takes them off. I just read that sentence and realized it may be a bit TMI (too much information), but oh well, it's my blog and I can say what I want! AND it's my birthday...so there!

Tonight my husband has to work teaching an art class so my daughter and I will meet my parents at the Olive Garden for dinner at 6:30pm. It will be nice to see them and hang out. Oh my gawd, I just realized something...servers from the Olive Garden come out and sing birthday songs. I sincerely hope they don't do that. I'm going to ask my parents not to tell them it's my birthday.

By the way, it's not my birthday just today. It's been my birthday all week. It ends on Sunday at 11:59pm. It's been wonderful at home to say, "Can you do so-and-so? It's my birthday". My husband laughs and says that his birthday will last one month if it's like that.

I am taking the day off of work Friday and can't wait for that! I've never taken a day off from work due to my birthday in the past. I've known several people who do each year and thought I would try it out this year. I'm so glad I did! During the day I plan to use the time and do homework for school. I have a 10 page research paper coming up, another small paper and four computer programs to write using C++. I won't mind doing it though because I plan to be at Barnes and Noble sipping Starbucks coffee while everyone else works!

Friday night my husband and I are celebrating my birthday by going to my favorite restaurant in our town. It is where we got engaged and haven't been back since. I can't wait to go! Afterwards we are going to the place where we met (haven't been there either for at least three years now). It will be a trip down memory lane.

Saturday night we are going to a Halloween party. I haven't been to a Halloween party since being a child and it should be interesting. No children are allowed and costumes are required. The party is being given by my best friend from high school named Susie. We recently connected via Facebook and it's been incredible hanging out after all of these years. When we first met for dinner it was like no time had passed and it's been almost 20 years!

Susie said that her party is an annual event and she even puts up black cloth on all of the walls of her house. She has an entire storage area full of Halloween decorations. It's her favorite holiday of the year. I plan to take the camera and snap some shots to post later.

Sunday morning at 2:00am our clocks turn back an hour! It is such a wonderful birthday present to receive one more hour of sleep!

What a wonderful week it's been so far and what a great weekend it's going to be! All of this is a birthday present in itself.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday!!

For years now, I've had a "no-work-birthday policy". This year since I won't have any annual leave lying around, I will have to work.

But usually I hang out with a friend, get a massage - do whatever I like. Not being at work on your birthday is infinitely better! So I approve of your plans :)

la said...

Happy Birthday xx
Of course you should take the day off!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! Hope you have a wonderful day!

Da Old Man said...

Have a very happy birthday

Chunks of Reality said...

Thanks so much, Svasti! I think your no-work policy is a great idea and one I think I'll start practicing this year and from now on!

You gave me an idea. I've had this gift certificate lying around for awhile to a local spa that I've never used. I think I'm going to call them to see if they have any availability Friday! Thanks a bunch for giving me the idea!

Chunks of Reality said...

La, Erica and Da Old Man - Thanks so much for your birthday wishes. It means a lot!

I'm going now to get ready to have dinner with the folks. Ya'll have a great night as well!

linda said...

Happy, very Happy Birthday to you. Such celebration - you will NEED a day off on Friday.

I hated turning 30 also. Now with #45 coming up soon, I just don't mind at all.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Lovely. I did try to sing the happy birthday song in words to you yesterday but my internet cut off - sorry. Hope you have/had a lovely day x

Immi said...

Happy birthday (albeit belated)! I hope you had a great day yesterday and enjoy the devil out of B&N Friday. I'd come with you if I could to buy you a latte or something. hehehe *sending birthday hugs*

The Topiary Cow said...

Happy Birthday!

Beautiful cake....

Hang in there with trying to shift the 5 pounds, it is hard...

Moo!

Preston said...

I am so glad you are having a wonderful birthday. And Halloween parties are so fun. I too am going to my first one in years. And I'm 48 and still feel like I'm 18, except when I try to get up from a sitting position on the floor. OUCH!

 
template by suckmylolly.com