Monday, December 1, 2008

Black Friday


I thought that I would get up at 5:00am and go shopping for all of the fabulous sales Black Friday had to offer. I did wake up at 5:00am. I took my dog outside. While she walked around the yard I looked out the window into the darkness of night. Opening the door while letting her back inside chilled me to the bone. It was then I decided that it was absolutely ridiculous to get dressed at 5:00am to go shopping, of all things!

I promptly went back to bed.

Around 11:00am I woke up again and got dressed. My husband, daughter and I had a delicious breakfast and then visited the stores to see what was left. Everything was gone from the best sales and I didn't mind a bit. It was much better than traveling by myself to look around at the crack of dawn.

I read an article located at the CNN website about a poor man who opened the doors at Wal-Mart at 5:00am while over 2,000 people waiting outside since the night before surged in and trampled him to death. Was his life worth the $40 saved on a DVD player? Honestly, it makes me sick at times to think about America and its values. I am so happy that I wasn't one of the people surging into Wal-Mart at 5:00am and litrally walking on top of someone in order to take advantage of a sale. I would never forgive myself.

Will Americans learn their lesson? I'm afraid the answer is "No". Next year the newspapers will post the Black Friday ads and all Hell will break loose once again. No one will remember the poor guy who got trampled to death. They will just think about how much money they will save and obviously that will be more important than a human life.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I sincerely WISH that I could get excited about the Holidaze, but alas I have become jaded as the years have passed, and as everything has become increasingly greedy and commercial.

I get more excited about the holidays being OVER.

Lucky Lady said...

I wanted a camera that wallmart had but like you did not want to fight the crowd so my daughter said mom go on line and get it i did and it will be here wed. everything they had was there good thought for next year

Da Old Man said...

So true. Merry Christmas loses a lot of meaning when folks do such terrible things.

Desert Rat said...

I feel the exact same way! I am so upset about this man I don't know...and did you hear about the trashy people at the toys r us? and now parents and children lives have been changed watching these people kill each other in a toy store - trash. You don't hear about this in other countries and that is why sometimes it is very embarrassing to be American because we know better...we are not third world scavangers!

Far said...

I dont understand why people just rush and go crazy like that i mean they killed a man because they wanted to shop for xmas gifts?! You took a life because you wanted to shop! so sad!

Lilly Holiday said...

it was indeed the blackest of fridays.... you really couldn't pay me to shop on the day or go anywhere near a shopping mall or walmart. I think walmarts the devil anyways.

And thanks for adding me to your blog roll.

Chunks of Reality said...

Cameron! It is so great to see you again! How are you and James? Have ya'll been drinking any appletinis for me? :)

I just added you to my blog again. I had some blog issues in the past and lost everyone on my blogroll.

Chunks of Reality said...

Lucky Lady - I love online shopping and think that you made a great choice!! :)

Chunks of Reality said...

I couldn't agree more, Old Man. How have you been feeling? I hope better.

Chunks of Reality said...

Desert Rat - It is quite embarrassing to be American at times. There seems to be an immaturity here that you can't get away from.

Chunks of Reality said...

Far - I don't understand it either. I heard that a lawsuit has been brought against Wal-Mart because of it. What about against all of the people who stepped on that poor man in their rush to get Christmas gifts! And let's think about one more thing here...it's for CHRISTMAS! Do people forget what Christmas is about?

Chunks of Reality said...

Lilly - I was happy to add you to the blogroll!!

linda said...

I love sales but rarely ever buy anything at them. I just don't need stuff I guess. But, I love going to sales and having a cup of coffee whilst I watch everyone else rummage around.

If I don't go, I feel that maybe I am missing out on something....

You got out of bed at 5.00am....? No, no, no NEVER. That is toooo early.

Daisy said...

hey I got to visit!

only have time to read one post though and this is it.

black friday sales... we don't have those though we do have a lot of huge sales every year. no one gets trampled but there are still loads of people; it turns into a real market.

but yes, I guess everyone's just fixated about saving these days to an extreme.

I do agree with you though. you did the right thing going back to bed. ;)

take care!

Chunks of Reality said...

Linda - Do they have sales that start at the crack of dawn like here in Australia?

I usually don't buy things at sales, either, but it is fun to look around.

Chunks of Reality said...

Daisy! So good to see you! :) You are always such a busy bee. Just don't overwork yourself...remember to visit that beach every chance you get, you lucky girl!!

*hugs*

 
template by suckmylolly.com